Today’s dev chat was very brief. Since last week jjj pushed 2.3.1 which had a few minor fixes.
Notably it contained a fix for posting code and further refined the new back tick feature ( ` ). There is no need to use <code> or <pre> when posting lines/blocks of code, simply wrap the code in a ` (if you use GitHub or Markdown it is the same concept) and we take care of the rest.
Also in 2.3.1 the “visual tab” of the TinyMCE/fancy editor was turned off by default. The visual tab is great in theory but we’ve seen a slew of issues with it such as code being reformatted, mangled, etc. For users who really need it back (and don’t post code in their forums) they can either use this snippet or this plugin to bring back the visual mode.
Aside from the 2.3.1 release we are just moving forward with the 2.4 tickets.
MZAWeb also talked about looking into getting Alex Mill’s SyntaxHighlighter plugin working with bbPress now that we have the code posting sorted out.
Since we forgot to whip up a summary of last week’s meeting, I felt compelled to make this week’s thorough 🙂
Tickets worth noting
- #2036 – Hierarchal replies – jmdodd has put up a monster patch. This feature is ready to testing. Test, test, test. Break it if you can and report back. This is going to be one of the showcase features in 2.4. We are in the fortunate position to have this pretty far along early into the 2.4 release. It would be idea if we could get this tested and committed earlier in the 2.4 cycle thus giving those testing/running trunk and the bbPress Beta plugin time to do further testing.
- #2283 – Theme compat fixes and resets. bbPress has pretty darn good theme compat as it stands now, but low and behold there are themes out there that put this to the test daily. A good potion of the topics in the support forums are form users who simply activated bbPress and out of the gate the bbPress styes exploded. We’ll never get around this, but we can certainly improve where we can. If this happens on one of your installs please report it in this ticket. There is already a patch to clean up some issues introduced by the search feature as well as theme’s doing weird styling to <ul>s and <li>s.
- #459 – Making moderation forum specific – jmdodd is going to look at this when #2036 is solid. Another much requested feature. Would be nice to get into 2.4 if possible.
- #1799, #1649 – ‘bump’ functions and user counters. jjj’s got these covered I believe.
Currently there is a whole slew of tickets that already have patches, 14 at the moment. Hopefully in the next week or so these can but updated/committed as needed which will help thin out the 2.4 milestone.
Currently there is a bug when posting code in a topic or reply. If you are not an admin and try to post XML/HTML it will be stripped as those tags will not match the white list available for participants. We’re going to look at what can be done to escape text within <code> blocks before it’s processed by kses. Alex Mills’ SyntaxHighlighter should be a good place to start and we might be able to emulate much of the process based on what he does in his plugin.
Just a reminder. The WP dev chat time was changed as and a result we have updated ours as well. The bbPress weekly dev chat will now be (back) at 21:00 UTC (4pm central).
bbPress 2.3 is out! Let’s take a few days off and talk on Wednesday about 2.4.
Few things for 2.4:
- Per-forum moderators
- Storing user ID’s in the voices topic meta
- Switching last_active meta to be post_modified_date, to speed up topics queries
- Bump functions to avoid expensive recounting
- Hierarchical replies
- Better Akismet feedback and UI
- Do we want to a slot in GSoC under the WordPress org?
bbPress 2.3 release is imminent. Last chance to sneak anything in!
bbPress 2.3 RC1 has now been released 🙂
You can check out the finer details from @JohnJamesJacoby on the bbPress blog here.
It would be great if you could:
- Test all the things…
- Test your themes…
- Test your plugins…
- Test your site…
If you find a bug please post a ticket http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/
bbPress dev chat summary Jan 9, 2013
We started of in the new #bbpress-dev dedicated channel for core talk albeit a little later than normal due to a schedule conflict with #wordpress-dev, more on that later.
It was a rather quiet chat this week as there were only three of us, @johnjamesjacoby, @jmdodd and myself @netweb. As ‘rez-bot’ had not yet joined #bbpress-dev there’s no irc log this week, here’s the highlights.
- @JJJ kicked things off by punting some of the big tickets to 2.4 which leaves us with this lot for 2.3 and on schedule for a Jan 31 release.
- @jmdodd is kicking goals with #2036 Hierarchical replies and @johnjamesjacoby is also helping out.
- Adding support for images in topics and replies, the code is in, now to decide if default is on or off? (Leave a comment below)
- Storing currently unused user profile meta imported from other forums for later use with potential inclusion in future versions of bbPress.
The weekly #wordpress-dev IRC chats are also now scheduled Wednesday’s @ 21:00 UTC (previously it was 20:00 UTC). What are your thoughts on times? Push it back an hour?